What's new
Nucleus Boards

Hello Guest! Welcome to Nucleus. Right now, you are not logged in or registered with us. If you sign up to our site you gain access to lots of awesome features and become a part of an awesome & growing community. Why not sign up today?

Do you think a Microsoft handheld would work?

Smokey

Founder/C.E.O.
Administrator
If Microsoft was to make a portable handheld console like the PS Vita or the Nintendo 3DS or even the Switch, do you think it'd work out well?

I think they'd do a pretty awesome job to be honest. With XBL integration and triple A titles like Halo and Gears of War, as well as multiplat titles like Call of Duty, Battlefield and Grand Theft Auto, I feel like if anyone can make a great handheld, it'd probably be Microsoft.

queenzelda

Problem is that they already have tried with Windows tablets, which sold poorly against other tablet contenders like Android, Google, & Apple. All of which outsold their compitetion while m$ struggled. Apparently, the others guys mobile devices are far more superior & is why m$ pulled the plug on their developing tablets.

Smokey

Founder/C.E.O.
Administrator
A tablet isn't a dedicated gaming console though, so I don't fully agree with that argument. I'm talking about a full-fledged Xbox handheld, dedicated to gaming and nothing else. :)

queenzelda

Offically Microsoft has said on many occasions they aren't going into the handheld market for the Xbox brand. Honestly, I doubt it'd outsell the 3DS, either. More so since the PSV has been struggling since it's launch & Sony abandoning the poor thing last year. 

Still one never knows. M$ may surprise everyone at E3 with an announcement of their entering into the dedicated handheld market. Hopefully they can get their act together & release exclusive content to it & the xb1x.

Shortie861

Smokey's Baby Girl <3
Administrator
I have for so many years now been wanting a handheld Microsoft console but they just do not seem to want to go down that road for whatever reason. I personally feel because of how popular Xbox has now become, a handheld would be perfect for those who are on the go a lot but would love to continue playing games on their Xbox. I know sometimes I have nights where I would rather lay in bed and be able to game but not having a console upstairs, I am unable to do this. Some kind of handheld from Microsoft would be amazing as I would be able to lay in bed and play games.

Smokey

Founder/C.E.O.
Administrator
I think something in the vein of the PS Vita would be great for Microsoft, but use a more standard type of memory system and not something proprietary card like Sony did with the Vita, which i feel was one of it's biggest downfalls.

I'm not a fan of handheld devices really, bar my DS so I can play Pokemon on those flights! I can't see a Microsoft handheld device going down well to be fair, I didn't get that much enthusiasm for the Switch and I couldn't imagine playing such an involved game along the likes of COD/BF/etc. on a small handheld device. It may just be me but I just don't get the appeal nowadays for handheld devices. I just use my phone to satiate that particular desire who rubbish games so that when I get home my console looks like an amazing beast in comparison lol.

There is no way in hell I would ever buy another handheld. I am good with consoles and pc.