What's new
Nucleus Boards

Hello Guest! Welcome to Nucleus. Right now, you are not logged in or registered with us. If you sign up to our site you gain access to lots of awesome features and become a part of an awesome & growing community. Why not sign up today?

Websites forcing you to turn off your AdBlock?

Shortie861

Smokey's Baby Girl <3
Administrator
I have noticed more and more just recently that websites are forcing people to turn off their AdBlocker or failing that to pay a monthly fee to keep your AdBlock active so you help them with the costs of their website. I understand that websites do cost a lot especially if you need a lot of bandwidth and space and such, however, forcing people to turn off an AdBlocker so that advertisements pop up all over the place is not an ideal way to do it I don't feel. Offering some kind of way for people who enjoy your website to make small donations would be better and more encouraging than being greeted with a message saying to turn your AdBlocker off or pay to keep it active.

Have you been on a website just recently that has forced you to turn your AdBlock off or pay a fee to keep it running? How did you deal with it?

Smokey

Founder/C.E.O.
Administrator
I hate sites like this. I understand some sites function on ad revenue, but it should be up to the viewer if they wish to disable adblock or not. I refuse to turn off my adblock for ANYONE. If they don't like it and continue to pester me to do so, I generally leave the site and never return. Some people make sites and/or forums for the sole purpose of trying to make them easy money, which I'm not really a fan of to be honest.

I feel like if you have a site that rejects ad-blocker, then you don't deserve your readers clicks. How I'm I supposed to know if those ads are safe.

Smokey

Founder/C.E.O.
Administrator
I feel like if you have a site that rejects ad-blocker, then you don't deserve your readers clicks. How I'm I supposed to know if those ads are safe.
Exactly! I'm not going to risk my security just because someone is greedy and wants to get rich off ad revenue. I don't care how reputable a site is in terms of what kind of 'ad's there are on it, some bad ones can slip through the cracks regardless.

Kyng

I rarely notice this myself, because I have my ad blocker off most of the time. I think it's important to support my favourite sites, and for the most part, the ads don't even bother me (it's often just a couple of banners in places where they aren't obtrusive).

Generally, I only even block ads when a site has particularly annoying ones, or when a site does something to piss me off (I have them blocked on Tapatalk, for example!)

It is funny how I'm constantly being fed ads that feed my personal interest. It just shows how my every activity is being tracked. Personally I use Add Block Plus to insulate myself from all the ads.

queenzelda

Yea, being a member of a proboards forum, they intimidate you by asking you to stop blocking their ads or pay for the site to be adfree. I'm barely active there due to how often I see a pop-up asking to stop ad blocking or pay up. =_= I'll do neither thanks.

Smokey

Founder/C.E.O.
Administrator
Yea, being a member of a proboards forum, they intimidate you by asking you to stop blocking their ads or pay for the site to be adfree. I'm barely active there due to how often I see a pop-up asking to stop ad blocking or pay up. =_= I'll do neither thanks.
Pretty much how I feel.